Watch the video:
Services are billable items where an employee of the practice performs health care on a patient such as anal gland expulsion, dental cleaning, or grooming.
To work with Services, either select Add Service from the Pulse Billable Item Management screen or click on the name of an existing Service to edit it. The screen below will appear:
You will need to fill out the fields accordingly:
- Item Type* - This can either be Service or Lab. The page will change to conform to the selected type.
- Category* - This will default to whichever category is the default for Services in the practice, but you can change the category using the drop-down menu.
- Code* - This can be alphanumeric, and it must be unique.
- Barcode - This is the barcode on the item.
- Internal Name* - This can be the medical term or the Common Name.
- Invoice Name - If the name above isn't the Common Name your clients would recognize, you can enter it here.
- Cost ($)* - This is the amount it cost you to perform the Service.
- Markup (%) - If you enter a markup percentage and a cost, it will multiply your cost by the markup percentage and directly update the Price field.
- Price ($)* - This is the price you charge for the Service. If you enter a Cost and a Price, the Markup percentage will be automatically calculated.
- Allow Price Change - This check box determines whether or not the price can be changed upon checkout. The employee would still need the right to change the amount even if this box is checked.
- Tax Level* - Set whether or not the Service is subject to sales tax.
- Discount (%) - This will allow you to discount only this Service.
- Show on Invoice - This field can only be used if the Service has a zero cost to the client.
- Include in Production - This is for your production reporting. If you pay employees based on their production, but this Service should not be included in that count, then turn the slider to off.
- Allow Discount - If you offer a discount to a certain group of people (i.e., senior citizens), this box will allow you to exclude items from that discount. This will also exclude this Service from a Category discount.
- DICOM Integration - If your practice has a DICOM Provider configured in Practice Setup, this control will allow you to configure the Service as a DICOM Service. When enabled, the following fields are made available.
- Provider - Select from the list of DICOM Providers configured in Practice Settings.
- Modality - Select the type of DICOM Modality represented by this service.
- Intuit® QuickBooks® Settings - When editing an item, this button opens the QuickBooks settings specific to this Service.
Note: The fields with the * are required to save the item.
Linked Items Card
- To add a linked item, click the "+ Item" button on the Linked Item card to open the search flyout.
- Search Catalog Items - Enter the name of the item you want to link to the Service and click it from the list provided below the search box.
- Quantity - The default quantity is used for the linked item when adding the item to patient's medical record.
Note: Services allow for one product to be linked to them.
Fee Schedule Card
- To add a service fee, click the "+ Fee" button on the Fee Schedule card to open the flyout.
- Fee Amount ($) - This is an additional fee (such as a disposal fee for syringe) that you would also want to charge whenever this Service is performed.
Vaccine Details Card
- Vaccine Name - This is the name that will appear on the patient Vaccination Log. The name does not have to match the name of the inventory or service item.
- Manufacturer - Optional, useful for tracking.
- Vaccine Type - Choose the appropriate type from the drop-down list.
- Dosage Type - Tracks if the vaccine is an Initial or Booster vaccine.
NOTE: Support recommends having separate vaccine items for your booster and initial vaccines to allow for separate reminder periods and dosage amounts.
- USDA Licensing and Animal Control Licensing - You can choose from One Year, Three Year, Four Year (USDA only), or Other. Other allows you to enter a number of months.
- Tag Issue Period - Indicate how often a tag is issued to the patient. Choose from Same as Animal Control, Other (this will allow you to manually enter the number of months), One Year, and Three Year.
- Serial Number - Useful for tracking serial numbers, but ignored for inventory items with lots.
- Create Rabies Certificate - This should only be checked if the vaccine is a Rabies vaccine and you wish for a certificate to be printed.
- Create Vaccination Log entry - Most often this should be checked unless you do not want it in the Log.
- To add restrictions, click the "+ Restrictions" button on the Restrictions card.
- Species - Select from the list of species defined for the practice. Multiple species can be selected. Once a number of species are selected, the remaining fields can be entered.
- Min Weight - The minimum weight for the patient. If the value is zero, no restriction is enforced. The weight units are defined in the practice settings.
- Max Weight - The maximum weight for the patient. If the value is zero, no restriction is enforced. The weight units are defined in the practice settings.
- Min Age - The minimum age for the patient. If the value is zero, no restriction is enforced.
- Age Units - Select from the age units available in the drop-down list.
Triggered Events Card
- Prompt to provide take home information - Enable this slider to select a handout.
- Handout - This is the document to give to the client when this item is added to the invoice.
- Change Patient Sex - Check this box if this Service could change the patient's sex to neutered or spayed.
- Change Patient Status - This field will allow you to change the patient's status. For example, if this is a euthanasia Service, you may want to change the patient's status to deceased.
Automated Reminders & Callbacks Card
- Type - Select the type of reminder or choose Callback from the list.
- Description - Enter a description of the entry.
- Time Period - Select the time units to be used for this entry.
- When to Remind - This is when the first reminder is sent to the client.
Note: This does not apply to callbacks.
- Due - This is when the entry is due.
- Expiration - This is when the reminder is considered overdue.
Note: This does not apply to callbacks.
- Adjust time period by quantity - This allows you to say that if this is a monthly reminder, but they bought six items, we will remind them in six months instead of in one month.
Client Notes Card
- Enter any notes for a client that should be provided at checkout for this Service.
Tier Pricing Card
- Quantity - The client will have to purchase at least this many to get the pricing.
- Markup (%) - The markup of the item's cost at this quantity. Updating the markup will recalculate Price for the item at this tier price.
- Price ($) - Unit price that should be charged at that quantity or higher (each). Updating the Price will recalculate Markup for the item at this tier price.
The History information will appear when editing a Service.
- Last Saved - Shows the date, time, and user who last changed the item.
- Created - Shows the date, time, and user who created the item.
- Change History Button - Opens the Change History screen with details about the changes that have been made to the item. Details about the use of Change History Screen can be found at the following link:
Once complete, you have three options to save your Service:
- Save and Close - This is the default option. When clicked, your changes will be saved, and you will be returned to the Pulse Billable Item Management screen.
- Save and New - This option allows you to save and bring up a new blank Billable Item screen without first navigating to the Pulse Billable Item Management screen.
- Save and Sync - This option is only available if the practice is in a group and the user is a group practice manager. When selected, it will act as the Save and Close option but also update the following field in all other practices in the group that have the matching item:
- Tax Level
- Service Fee
- Save - This option saves your progress while keeping you on this screen. Useful if you are working on an item and want to make sure your changes are not lost if you need to step away while working on an item.