Voiding a payment will remove the payment from the invoice. If the payment was integrated, you will be given the option to "void and refund" or "void only". Selecting to "void only" will only allow you to remove the payment from the invoice and not refund the money back to the client. Voiding will allow you to make changes to the payment and/or to the invoice/treatment items. These are a few scenarios where voiding a payment is recommended.
- Incorrect payment amount - void the payment immediately and re-enter the correct amount then reprocess the payment.
- Incorrect payment type - void the payment immediately and reprocess the payment with the correct payment type (Cash, check, AMEX, etc.)
NOTE: It is possible to edit payment history to correct payment name (i.e. AMEX to VISA), but switching types (cash to credit) would require the payment to be voided.
- Refunded/bad check - in this case you would want to void the check so the items are again marked as unpaid and the client shows as having a balance on their account. At this point, some practices wish to also add a returned check service fee to the account balance.
- Applied a payment to the wrong invoice.
- Took payment from the wrong site (multi-clinic setup only) - void the payment under the current location immediately and reprocess the payment under the correct location.
- Corrections need to be made to an invoice with a partial payment.
After the Void has Processed
- Inventory - Voiding an item will automatically mark the item as unpaid and place it on the client's balance, but it will not return the item to inventory. If this item needs to be placed back into inventory you will need to remove it from the invoice/treatments
- Payment History - You may need to reapply the payment to the invoice. This requires you to change the deposit date back to the original date of payment. To do so, go to the client's payment history and click "Edit History" on the receipt.
- Sales/End of Shift Reports - If you changed the Payment History your reports will likely be affected. You will want to rerun these reports to ensure your bookkeeping is up to date.
How do I handle a bounced check?
Overview: Voiding vs. Returning once a Payment has been Processed
How do I print a replacement End of Shift report for a previous day?