Vaccines are defined under Inventory Management and under Services.
New Vaccine Creation from Inventory Management
- Adding a new vaccine involves creating a new Inventory Item:
- Menu > Inventory > Inventory Management > Add Inventory Item.
- Checking the Is Vaccine? box indicates the item will be used as a vaccine and allows for additional vaccine settings to be configured.
Configuring "Is Vaccine?" settings for an Inventory Item
- On the Add Inventory Item > check the Is Vaccine? box to display the Edit Vaccine screen.
A description of the following fields and settings are:
- Name: this is the name that will appear on the patient Vaccination Log. Does not have to match the name of the inventory or procedure item.
- Manufacturer: Optional, useful for tracking.
- Vaccine Type: Choose from the appropriate type drop down box.
- Dosage Type: Tracks if the vaccine is an Initial or Booster vaccine.
NOTE: Support recommends having separate vaccine items for your booster and initial vaccines to allow for specific reminder periods and dosage amounts.
- Create Rabies Certificate: This should only be checked if the vaccine is a Rabies vaccine and needs a certificate to be printed.
- Create an entry in Vaccination Log: Most often this should be checked unless you do not want it in the Log.
- USDA Licensing and Animal Control Licensing: You can choose from One Year, Three Year, Four Year (USDA only), or Other. Other allows you to enter a number of months.
- Tag Issue Period: Indicate how often a tag is issued to the patient. Choose from Same as Animal Control, Other (this will allow you to manually enter the number of months), One Year, and Three Year.
- Serial Number: Useful for tracking serial numbers but ignored for inventory items with lots.
Vaccine Details for Service Items
- Go to Menu > Settings > Products & Services > Services.
- Scroll down to Vaccine Details.
- Fill in the fields.
- If this is a rabies vaccine, check the Create Rabies Certificate box.
The vaccine will also contain the Reminder: See Creating & Distributing Your Reminders Quick Guide for more information.
Vaccine Configuration Best Practices
Support recommends using vaccine inventory items linked to vaccine procedures. Generally, this will involve:
- An inactive inventory item that exists for the sole purpose of "holding" vaccine inventory information and is hidden on the client's invoice.
- A number of active procedures linked to the inactive "tracking" item, each representing a different type of vaccination that shares the same inventory.
The configuration of each item type is important in order to properly update reminders and vaccination log entries. More details and screenshots will follow, but generally:
- The "inventory tracking" item will not have "is vaccine" checked or create the reminder. The item is only tracking inventory information.
- Services linked to the inventory tracker will have "is vaccine" checked and create the reminder.
Editing the Inventory Tracker's Item Properties
Optionally the inventory tracker can be hidden on an invoice.
- Locate the desired item and click on the Edit pencil to open the Edit Inventory Item window.
- Check the box for Hide on invoice? on the inventory item's properties.
- As long as the price is set to $0.00 on the inventory item, it will only show on the patient's treatment page and be hidden from the client's invoice.
Linking Vaccines to an Inventory Tracker
- Cost should be reflected on the tracking inventory items.
- Price should be $0.00 on the inventory tracking items and instead is reflected on the Procedure Items.
- Only the Procedure items are active. The inventory items have a red circle under the Active column. This allows us to not accidentally invoice the inventory tracker as well as optionally hide it on invoices.
See How can I link billable items to each other? for general guidelines on linking billable items to inventory items.
Adding a Linked Vaccine to a Patient Treatment
If configured, searching for a vaccine to add to a patient record will only display the Vaccine Procedure items.
- This is because the inventory tracking item is set to inactive (and thus won't appear in search).
- Adding the Vaccine Procedure item to a treatment will automatically pull the inactive inventory item.