Keep track of your controlled substances for mandated reporting purposes. In the system you can set the schedule of the controlled substance and then run reports on usage of the substance over a set period of time.
Configuring an inventory item as a controlled substance
When adding a controlled substance item to the inventory, enable the Controlled Substance setting. When you do so, you will select the schedule of the controlled substance. To do this, go to Menu > Inventory > Inventory Management. Click the link to Add Inventory Item or edit an existing item.
By checking this box, this inventory item will now show up on your controlled substance reports. For more information on adding an inventory item, see this article - Adding an Inventory Item.
Controlled Substance Reporting
Once you have your controlled substances entered into inventory, you can begin reporting.
- Click on Menu > Settings > Inventory > Controlled Substances.
- Choose the Report Type:
- Disposition report that shows client transactions.
- Inventory report shows changes in inventory.
- Combination report that shows both. Best practice would be to use the combined report for any discrepancies.
- Choose the start and end dates. The report runs off the Service Date of the item.
- You can choose to report based off a particular substance, employee, or patient, or leave blank for all.
- Once completed, choose to export the report to Excel or as a PDF. The report is not stored.
If a return is made for a controlled substance, it will show on the report as long as you have selected the option to "return to inventory". If that option is not selected when the item is returned, it will not create a record of the returned substance and the on hand amount will remain the same.