Often when a patient is adopted out or sold, you will need to change the owner of the patient while maintaining their existing medical records.
- Invoices and Payment History are not transferred when patient ownership changes.
- Payment history will continue to show on the client that originally made the payments.
- Invoices can be transferred by using the Transfer Invoice link on the invoice.
- Scheduled Visits/Appointments are not transferred to the new client when patient ownership changes. Any existing appointments will need to be recreated under the new owner.
- Manually adding a medical record note of previous owner will help keep track of changes since they are not visible to the practice.
To change the patient ownership:
- Add the new owner as a new client if they do not already exist in your system. You do not need to enter a pet for the client at this time. For more information please see this article - Adding a New Client
- Navigate to the General Information tab of the patient's record.
- Scroll down and click on the General Information section.
- Click on Change next to Owner.
- The following screen will pop up where you can click Add New Owner.
- Search for the new owner that was previously added and then click Add.
- The following screen will appear where can you adjust the percentage ownership if there are multiple owners or change the new owner to having 100% ownership and removing the old owner:
- Click Save when you are done.
You have now changed the ownership of this patient.