Often when a patient is adopted out or sold, you will need to change the owner of the patient while maintaining their existing medical records.
- Invoices and Payment History are not transferred when patient ownership changes.
- Payment history will continue to show on the client that originally made the payments.
- Invoices can be transferred by using the Transfer Invoice link on the invoice.
- Scheduled Visits/Appointments are not transferred to the new client when patient ownership changes. Any existing appointments will need to be recreated under the new owner.
- Manually adding a medical record note of previous owner will help keep track of changes since they are not visible to the practice.
- Add the new owner as a new client if they do not already exist in your system. You do not need to enter a pet for the client at this time. For more information, please see this article - Adding a New Client
- Search for the patient and edit to display the patient's profile.
- Under Owned By, enter the name of the new owner.
- Scroll down and click Save.
You have now changed the ownership of this patient.
Multiple Owners and Split Billing
If the patient is owned by more than one person, additional owners can be added, and you can define how billing will be divided among the owners.
- In the Patient Profile, under Owned By, click +add another.
- Enter the name of the additional owner.
- In the % fields, enter the percentage each owner will be responsible for billing for this patient.
- Move the slider for Split billing to the right to enable split billing.
Note: If the owners will not be splitting payments for invoices, leave Split billing turned off and if only one person will be paying for invoices, enter 100% in the % field.
- Click Save when you are done.