Often if you correspond and/or speak with your client you will want to record the details of this conversation whether or not it was medically relevant. Communications can be added to the patient/client profiles and/or the patient's medical record.
You can add a communication entry from a few places in the system. Below are the two easiest ways:
Patient's Medical Record or Profile
- Open the correct patient's medical record.
- Click on the Add Communication quick link.
- Open the client's record and locate the Communication Log section and expand it.
- Once you click on the link to add the communication entry, the following information will appear:
- Display Name: Title of the communication as it appears in the client/patient profiles and on the medical record.
- Patient: If you add the communication from the client's profile then you will have the option to choose which patient the communication pertained to if they have multiple patients. You'll also have the ability to not choose a patient if the communication wasn't about just one of the client's patients.
NOTE: If you do not choose a patient you will not have the option to choose how the communication will appear on the medical record or whiteboard in items #3 and #4. Also, if you add the communication entry from the patient's profile or medical record then it will be automatically assigned to that patient and you will not have the option to change it.
- Include on medical record view?: Communication will only show up electronically in the medical record. This will be automatically checked off based on your default settings.
- Include on medical record printing?: Communication will only show upon printed/emailed versions of the medical record. This will be automatically checked off based on your default settings.
- Create Task entry?: You can create a Task entry for this communication if follow up is required.
- Communication Type: You can specify the type of Communication it was. These types are customizable. For more information on customizing your communication types, please see this article: How do I create custom communication types?
- Communication Method: This is how you communicated with them.
- Phone: If you choose "By Phone" in #6 then it will ask you to specify the phone number.
- This is the editor where you can add your comments on the communication. Many people will copy and paste email correspondence in this section if the communication was via email.
- Click Save once you've completed the entry.