Question: How do I add a client communication entry?
Often if you correspond and/or speak with your client you will want to record the details of this conversation whether or not it was medically relevant. eVetPractice offers ways to add communications to the patient/client profiles and/or the patient's medical record.
You can add a communication entry from a few places in the system. Below are the two easiest ways:
Patient's Medical Record or Profile
Click on the "Add Communication" quick link.
Once you click on the link to add the communication entry, the following information will appear:
- Display name will be the title of the communication as it appears in the client/patient profiles and on the medical record.
- Patient - if you add the communication from the client's profile then you will have the option to choose which patient the communication pertained to if they have multiple patients. You'll also have the ability to not choose a patient if the communication wasn't about just one of the client's patients. Please note that if you do not choose a patient you will not have the option to choose how the communication will appear on the medical record or whiteboard in items #3 and #4. Also, if you add the communication entry from the patient's profile or medical record then it will be automatically assigned to that patient and you will not have the option to change it.
- These are the settings discussed in the related article below. If neither are selected the communication will not be on the medical record, if the first is selected, it will only show up electronically, and if both are selected then this communication will be on both electronic and printed/emailed versions of the medical record. These will be automatically checked off based on your default settings discussed in that article.
- You can create a whiteboard entry for this communication if follow up is required. Please see this article for more information: How do I use the whiteboard?
- You can specify the type of Communication it was. These types are customizable. For more information on customizing your communication types, please see this article: How do I create custom communication types?
- This is how you communicated with them.
- If you choose "By Phone" in #6 then it will ask you to specify the phone number.
- This is the editor where you can add your comments on the communication. Many people will copy and paste email correspondence in this section if the communication was via email.
- Make sure to click Save once you've completed the entry.