During the course of the year, you may want to close your practice for holidays, vacation, educational workshops, etc. Below are some tips that will allow you to block off days on the calendar for these events.
Block Days using Calendar Resources
The quickest way to block a full day on the calendar for a resource to indicate the practice is closed is to create a calendar resource, then apply the resource to the resource calendar.
- Go to Menu > Settings > Calendar > Calendar Resources.
- Click the link to Add Calendar Resource.
- Enter the resource Name, such as Closed.
- Click Save.
Scheduling the Block
- Below the list of Calendar Resources is the monthly calendar. To block days as Closed, click on the day in the month the practice is closed. The Add Resource Schedule will appear.
- Verify the Date is correct then select the Resource from the drop-down list.
Repeat Blocked Days
On the Add Resource Schedule, check the Repeat option to block the calendar for regularly scheduled closings. For example, block every Sunday because the practice is closed or you want to block Wednesday every three months for staff meetings/workshops or facility maintenance.
- Click Done on Repeat.
- Click Save on Add Resource Schedule
The blocked day(s) show on Calendar Resources.
The blocked day will appear on the Appointment Calendar and hide all other resources.
- If you do not use custom calendar resources, you will need to create the block off appointment for resources on the calendar.
Edit or Remove a Blocked Resource
- To edit or remove a blocked resource, click on the resource under Calendar Resources.
- Click Edit to change the date and/or the Resource.
- Click Cancel to remove the scheduled resource from the calendar. If this was a repeating schedule, the following prompt will appear. If removing just the blocked day you clicked on, choose Only this Resource Schedule?. If deleting a series from the selected day and forward, click on This Resource Schedule and Future Resource Schedules for Series?.
Appointment Types for Blocked Times
Creating Appointment Types to block times is useful for blocking a single resource's time when they are not available for regular appointments such as office hours, lunch breaks, personal appointments, or vacation.
- Go to Menu > Settings > Calendar > Appointment Types.
- Click on the Add Appointment Type link.
- Enter the new Appointment Type information in the appropriate fields. You may wish to go with an appointment type name such as Blocked or create an appointment type for each reason a resource may need time blocked on their calendar.
- Click Save.
Apply a Blocked Appointment Type
Add the blocked appointment type to a resource as you would add any appointment to the calendar.
- From the Menu, click on Home.
- Click on resource for the calendar view.
- Click on the day/time on the calendar under the resource name to schedule the block appointment time.
- On the Add Visit screen, choose the blocked Type.
- You may want to enter a reason for the blocked appointment in Description.
- You do not need to select a provider and/or patient unless the blocked time is associated with a patient.
- Verify the start and end dates/times are correct.
- Check the option to Repeat if this will be a recurring blocked appointment.
- Click Done to save the Repeat settings.
- Click Save to save the blocked appointment.
Edit or Delete a Repeating Blocked Appointment
- To edit a blocked appointment, click on the appointment and from the menu, choose Edit.
- To remove a blocked appointment, click on the appointment and choose Remove from the menu.
- If the blocked appointment being removed was part of a series or recurring appointment, a prompt will appear to select if removing the single appointment or the entire series from this point forward.
- Make your selection. The appointment(s) will be removed from the calendar.