Sometimes mistakes happen and you may need to void a payment to adjust an invoice or correct a payment history. When voiding a payment made with an integrated payment partner (Bluefin, Gravity, or Worldpay) you will be prompted to select the payment to void it in the program, or to void the payment and initiate a refund of the money to the client card.
When clicking Void Payment on a receipt from an integrated payment:
- A prompt is displayed asking if you would like to refund the payment amount back to the original card, or just void the payment. You have three options:
- Void Only
- Void and Refund - If allowed by your credit card processor
- Clicking Void Only will display a message - You have chosen not to refund the amount to the customer. If you reprocess this payment, it's recommended to skip card processing to avoid a double charge.
- The Payment History screen will now clearly indicate which option was chosen on the void action.
- Under VOIDED, it will say - Amount was/was not credited back to the card.
If the payment was made in error or the client wishes to use a different payment method to pay their bill you can select to void and refund, this will (if your card vendor allows it) void the payment and will also send a message to the payment vendor to refund that amount to the clients card that was used for the original transaction.
If items within the invoice need to be corrected, or you don't want the void to also refund the money from the transaction back to the clients card, then you would select void only. Doing this will void the payment within the program only and will not refund any money back to the client.
More information on voiding payments: When is voiding a payment recommended?
More information on integrated payment partners: