Watch the Video:
The electronic Whiteboard serves as the command center for tracking patient visits replacing the use of a physical dry erase whiteboard to monitor patients and their daily care.
Patients can be automatically placed on the Whiteboard when checking in for an appointment as long as the appropriate check-in option is selected. The Whiteboard refreshes every 15 seconds to display updated patient status or new/removed patients.
A detailed comments section has been added which includes unread notifications for users, the ability to copy specific comments to the patient's medical record, and a date/time stamp and user name when a comment was added/edited. A blue dot next to a comment indicates a new unread comment.
Unscheduled patient appointments can be added directly from the Whiteboard. The Whiteboard can be projected on a screen and the auto-refresh function tracks patient care in real time.
To help keep the Whiteboard specific to patient visits and their care, tasks have been moved to the new Tasks Dashboard. Stay tuned for more updates as the new whiteboard continues to evolve.
ENABLING THE WHITEBOARD
The Whiteboard must be enabled under Practice Setup. Once enabled, the Whiteboard will be visible and accessible from the main Menu.
- Go to Menu > Settings > Practice Setup > General.
- Click on Miscellaneous Settings to expand the section.
- Check the box to enable Use whiteboard.
OTHER PRACTICE SETTINGS
- When the Whiteboard is enabled, the Tasks Dashboard is enabled by default. For more information on Tasks Dashboard, see this article - Tasks.
- To assign a patient to a specific room or boarding cage, enable Locations under Miscellaneous Settings. For more information on Locations, see this article - Locations.
- By enabling Locations for the Practice, the Visit Status can be utilized specifically to show the state of the patient for the duration of the visit while Locations can be used to specifically show where the patient is physically located. For more information on Visit Statuses, see this article - Configuring Visit Statuses.
- When SMS is enabled for the Practice, text messages can be sent from the Practice to the Client from the Whiteboard. For more information on setting up SMS for your Practice, see this article - SMS Setup.
ACCESSING THE WHITEBOARD
- Click on Whiteboard from the Menu.
Maximize the Whiteboard screen by clicking on the four arrows () in the upper right corner of the page . This will hide borders and menus allowing maximum space when viewing on larger monitors in a treatment or surgical area. To revert the Whiteboard back to its original size, click on the arrows once again or press the Esc key on the keyboard.
MOVING PATIENTS ON AND OFF THE WHITEBOARD
Patients are automatically moved on and off the Whiteboard when the visit status selected is configured to Place on the Whiteboard or Remove from Whiteboard. They can also be removed manually.
For more information on Visit Statuses, please see this article - Configuring Visit Statuses.
ADDING A PATIENT VISIT TO THE WHITEBOARD
There are three different areas in Pulse where a patient visit can be added to the Whiteboard.
- From the Calendar, update the Status to a visit status configured to place on the Whiteboard.
- From Visits in Patient Medical Record, update the Status to a visit status configured to place on the Whiteboard.
- From the Whiteboard, click Check In Patient. Use the search field (Lookup Patient) to find the patient to check into the Whiteboard.
REMOVING A PATIENT VISIT FROM THE WHITEBOARD
Below are the different ways to remove a patient from the Whiteboard.
- From the Calendar, update the Status to a visit status configured to remove from the Whiteboard.
- From Visits in Patient Medical Record, update the Status to a visit status configured to remove from the Whiteboard.
- From the Whiteboard, click Visit Status in the Whiteboard and select status that removes from the Whiteboard.
- From the Whiteboard > Actions menu, click Remove or Check Out.
Note: Once a patient appointment is on the Whiteboard, visit statuses not configured to add or remove from the Whiteboard can be used to show the progress of a visit without moving them on or off the Whiteboard.
ADDING PATIENT VISITS FROM THE CALENDAR
- Click on the appointment to check in or place on the Whiteboard.
- Click Status or click to View or Edit the visit.
- Change the visit status to Check In (or whichever visit status you have configured to place an appointment on the Whiteboard).
- Click Save at the bottom right.
- This will add the patient appointment to the Whiteboard, print the check in report, and copy the visit description to the Whiteboard.
- If configured, the visit description will be copied to the reason for visit in the patient's medical record.
ADDING VISITS FROM THE WHITEBOARD
- Click Check In Patient located at the top right of the Whiteboard screen.
Lookup an existing Patient or click to create a new Client or Patient.
Once a patient is selected, a panel will open to fill in the Whiteboard information for the patient.
1. Lookup Patient: Use this field to search for patients.
2. Selected Patient: Basic information is displayed for the selected patient.
3. Client: Verify the correct client for the patient is selected.
4. Visit: If the entry is from an appointment, the visit reason appears here. Unscheduled: If this Whiteboard entry is not from an appointment, Unscheduled is selected.
5. Appointment Type: Select a reason for checking in to the Whiteboard.
6. Visit Status: Select the status of the visit from the drop-down list.
7. Location: Select the location from the list.
8. Provider: Select the staff person who will be assigned to the patient.
9. Urgent: Click to mark this entry as urgent if a high priority visit.
10. Cancel: Click to cancel the entry without saving changes.
11. Check In: Click to save the Whiteboard entry.
Note regarding Location:
- If a max capacity has been configured for the Location in Settings, a total count of the available capacity will display to the right of the Location name in the drop-down.
- When the max capacity has been met, the Location will become inactive/cannot be selected.
- If a max capacity has not been assigned, the count will not display and an unlimited number of patients can be assigned to that location.
- For more information about Locations, refer to Destinations and Locations article.
ADDING VISIT FROM PATIENT MEDICAL RECORD
- From the Patient Medical Record under General Information, scroll down to Visits.
- Click on Schedule a Visit or click the pencil to edit an existing visit.
- Update the Status to a visit status configured to Place on the Whiteboard.
REMOVING PATIENTS AT CHECK OUT
- Click View Client or Check Out from the Action menu on the Whiteboard.
- When select Check Out a prompt will display to Keep or Remove the visit in the Whiteboard.
- If select Keep, the patient visit remains on the Whiteboard
- If select Remove, the patient visit is removed from the Whiteboard
View Client and Check Out options take you to the client's record to update the Status of the visit and Make Payment.
- For more information on Visit Statuses, please see this article - Configuring Visit Statuses.
Note: If Locations are enabled, in the Incomplete Appointments section, update or remove the patient Location to reduce the max capacity if configured.
REMOVING THE PATIENT VISIT ON THE WHITEBOARD
- Click Remove from the Action menu in the Whiteboard.
- This will remove the visit from the Whiteboard without deleting the visit.
NAVIGATING FROM THE WHITEBOARD
Navigate from the Whiteboard using the action menu options or by clicking on the patient, client or appointment details within the visit.
- Patient details navigates to the Patient profile
- Client details navigates to the Client profile
- Appointment details navigates to the Visit details
SENDING SMS MESSAGES FROM THE WHITEBOARD
SMS must be enabled for the Practice and the Client must have an active phone number with SMS enabled in their profile.
For more information on setting up SMS for a Practice, please see this article - SMS Setup.
To send a Client an SMS message from the Client details in the Whiteboard, click SMS Client in the pop up or SMS Client in the Actions menu.