This article covers where to store a DEA number and NPI numbers in the program. This article will also cover what are best practices concerning identification numbers for prescriptions and other medical transactions.
State and National License Fields
- State and national identification fields are tied to individual employees.
- Go to Settings > Employees > Employees. Clicking on a pencil next to a particular employee opens their configuration. Under the General Information section fields exist for State License Number and National License Number as pictured below:
Best practices and recommendations
- Support generally cannot advise on local, state, and national laws. However, as best practice we strongly recommend keeping DEA numbers in the United States secure and not entered in these fields.
- National Provider Identifier (NPI) is generally more appropriate to enter in the National License Number field.
- Other localities, states, and countries may have their own identifiers and can be entered into the State License or National License Number fields appropriately. Both fields are optional in eVetPractice.
- Do consult your local laws and legal experts with questions about your specific circumstances.